Monday 26 July 2010

Heavy Leg Syndrome

I'm feeling quite chuffed about my long run on Saturday - the fact that I'm still able to walk is a bonus!...

Ended up being 14.85 mile - I lasted the distance but my iPhone battery didn't....blimmin'  technology huh?! It only crapped out at the 13 mile mark so it wasn't too drastic. I just hate listening to my own breathing and footfall - it's very boring. You'd think that I could actually use the time as my 'Thinking Space' but that fact is that when I run I think my mind shuts off as well and I just zone out for the run duration... I don't mind. It's quite nice to be able to switch off the noise that is in my head!

By mile 8 my legs were getting the heavy feeling. I was quite fascinated, yet annoyed at the same time. Fascinated because 8 mile is the distance I had been doing a few times a week before I started my marathon training and obviously my legs are used to running that distance, so anything beyond that must become an 'issue' for them. Hmph.
I'm guessing this will get better as my body gets used to doing the longer mileage? I hope so!! At the moment I'm thinking that pushing out babies is actually easier than this marathon training!.... But that could always just be ME being ever-so-slightly dramatic...maybe.

Recovery was good - rest day yesterday was fantastic.

My run tonight felt good once my legs warmed up properly. On the schedule today was hills... Now I actually don't mind running up hills - I find flats a teeny tiny little bit boring...
Anyway, so 10x up the very nasty hill in Richmond Park with an easy 1.6mi jog there and back.
Cold beer and dinner waiting for me when I got home. Nice one Mr. Amazing Husband!
8mi tomorrow.
7mi Wednesday.
etc. etc.
Then it's our Annual 14 mile trail race on Sunday in Surrey (South England) - whoop whoop! This is the run my husband and I love to do each year because of the off-road/dirt track aspect and also the scenery. Oh. My. Goodness.
This is why I run!

This is a picture of the Highlands around Loch Ness where I'm doing the marathon. Scenery such as this just makes me want to weep and/or break out into some ancient Celtic song.

Don't tell me I'm the only one...

I always loved running... it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power.  You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs.  ~Jesse Owens
 

2 comments:

  1. You are so inspiring! Do you have any rest days??

    I love that quote - am going to borrow it!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for 14.85 miles!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    The quote is killer. Your choice of scenery for your marathon could not be any better. AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete